Tenants Support

Beech Properties tenants support.

Beech Properties Help and information for applying and reserving a property with us.

In this page the team at Beech Properties are trying to help with your renting application and explain to you what you need to know and be aware of as we progress your application.

It will help to explain what happens when you apply to Beech Properties and what you need to know and do before you move in, when you move in, and during your stay in your new home.

We will also cover what you need to do when you have decided to move out of the property when you are vacating at the end of your tenancy.

To apply and reserve a property with Beech Properties you must have viewed the property first.

You must  fill in the Beech Properties tenants application form (together with the guarantor application form if one is required) in full and giving us as much if not all the information requested in our application form.

Download application form

Our charges and fees

Beech Properties pride ourselves on being open and transparent regarding our fee structure, which we always keep to a reasonable level.

Single Tenancy Administration fee: £150.00

Joint Tenancy Administration fee :  £180.00

Tenancy renewal following expiry of initial term £30.00

This covers the cost of our comprehensive referencing plus the preparation of a detailed inventory, and all our administration time in producing all of the legally binding tenancy documentation all of which is as much for your protection as it is for the Landlord.

We DO NOT charge any fees for unsuccessful applications.

Deposit protection

Initial fee: £25.00

Renewal fee; £20.00

Beech Properties tenants deposits are protected in My Deposits – Deposit Protection Scheme, Tenants will receive a copy of their Tenancy Deposit Certificate.

You will in most cases need to pay the following before moving into your new home:

RENT: 1 Month’s Rent in advance.

DEPOSIT: Equivalent to 1 Months’ Rent.

Deposit protection fee:

Tenancy Administration fee:

If you are eligible for Housing Benefit, you must provide us with proof of eligibility and entitlement amount before we can commence with your application.

You will need to show evidence immediately following move-in that you have applied to the Local Authority for Housing Benefit at that address.

You will need to provide us with a deposit as above, and you will need to pay any top up amount due prior to moving in.

Please note that Beech Properties will charge a fee for any appointment(s) not kept by the Tenant.

This fee will depend on the nature of, and the costs incurred as a result of any appointment not being kept.

An administration fee will only be charged if you are the successful applicant(s) to cover the costs of your references, credit checks and making ready of the legal documents.

You will be advised of this when you make your application..

We will continue to advertise and show the property to other prospective tenants until such time as we have approved an application so the sooner you get your application form and any other information to us the better your chance of a successful application.

Ultimately the Landlord makes the final decision based on the information you have provided to us (key parts of which we will pass on to the Landlord) together with the result of the background checks we have carried out on both you and the Guarantor (where applicable).  That said our opinion will be taken into consideration by the Landlord.

With that in mind it is important that you give us as much of the information being asked for in the application form as possible.

At Beech Properties we are here to help you, if you are unsure of any aspect of the application form or the additional information we have asked you for please do not hesitate to contact one of our very experienced team.

All applications are dealt with on an individual basis and all the information you give us is in the strictest confidence and will not be shared with any other party except for some key information which we will pass on to the Landlord.

If your application is unsuccessful your application form and all accompanying information will be responsibly destroyed.

A tenancy is not deemed valid or active until such time as the tenancy agreement is signed by all the parties mentioned thereon, the Guarantor has signed the deed of guarantee and all fees and charges are paid along with all advanced rent and deposits agreed with Beech Properties.

There is no obligation on Beech Properties to give a reason to any applicant or their Guarantor for declining an application.



Beech Properties tenants applicants has to be over the age of 18 years when applying for a property from Beech Properties. All applicants must agree to have background and credit checks carried out as seen fit by Beech Properties.

If you do not agree to these checks your application will not go ahead.

Our referencing is done by an independent professional referencing company and includes checks and verification of all personal credit, employment and previous address information for all applicants that is available and would normally be expected to be undertaken to confirm your ability to act as a responsible tenant capable of meeting their commitments as set out in the tenancy agreement.

Cancellation of applications

If you withdraw your application at any time following acceptance and payment of application fee(s), or if for any reason you do not satisfy the referencing requirements referred to above, then your application fee will be returned to you by electronic bank transfer after making an appropriate deduction to pay for any referencing and administration charges incurred in bringing your application to the point where you have decided to withdraw from your application.

The fee will be confirmed to you by our office when you withdraw your application.


In some cases a guarantor will be required.

The guarantor or a replacement or subsequent guarantor must be aware that they are expected to guarantee the tenancy for as long as it continues even if it becomes Statutory Periodic. The guarantor must also complete an application form and agrees to be referenced in the same way as the tenant Once again should your application be declined because the guarantor does not satisfy the referencing requirements then the same deductions as set out earlier will be made before the reservation fee is returned to you by electronic bank transfer.

Click here to download the guarantor application form.

The Deposit

Prior to moving into a property, you will need to pay the security deposit which is usually the same as one calendar month’s rent or more on certain properties depending on varying circumstance and the type and quality of the property. Our office will tell you the exact amount required which has to be paid prior to your move in date. If the Landlord of a property agrees to a cat or a dog being kept at the property an extra security deposit will be required. This amount will be payable prior to your tenancy being approved and you will be advised of the amount ahead of your move in date.

The tenancy deposit protection scheme

Your tenancy agreement will be an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST), any deposit paid will be registered under the tenancy deposit protection regulations which came into force on 6th April 2007. You will be advised of how your deposit is protected in line with the tenancy deposit protection regulations.

Moving in

Appointments to move into the property will usually only take place during office hours.

You will need to pay all fees, deposit and any further monies to cover other fees that have been agreed such as for pets prior to the day of moving into your new home.

We will confirm to you verbally and or by email the exact amount payable by you prior to making your move in appointment.

We DO accept credit and debit card payments for these monies (credit cards will incur a transaction charge of 2% of the amount being paid)

Personal cheques will not be accepted.

Please be advised under no circumstances will tenants be moved into a property unless and until all necessary fees and payments have been received by Beech Properties in full.

All Tenants and Guarantors must be available and able to sign the necessary legal documentation before the commencement of the tenancy agreement.

The move in will under normal circumstances take place at the property where the inventory will be agreed and you will be familiarised with the various emergency cut off points for the utilities supplying the property.

In exceptional circumstances the move in can take place at our offices in which case the tenants can check the inventory themselves and raise any queries on the inventory within 48 hours of commencement of the tenancy agreement. The tenant will have to sign the inventory at the same time as signing the tenancy agreement.

Tenants are also advised that although telephone points and TV aerial or cable points may be present, there is no guarantee they are in working order, it is the Tenants responsibility to make these active if they so wish.

One set of keys will be provided at move in, if you require extra keys this must be advised in advance, they will be cut at your expense and must be handed back to Beech Properties at the end of the tenancy.

The tenancy agreement (AST)

The Tenancy Agreement will be drawn up for a period of time agreed between you and the Landlord, although the initial term will usually be 6 months.

As long as the tenancy has been conducted in a satisfactory manner and your Landlord is prepared to renew your tenancy agreement at the end of the initial fixed period you may be offered a renewed tenancy. If this happens then depending on the Landlord’s instructions to us we will discuss this with you then and ask you to sign a new tenancy agreement and any other necessary documents. We will repeat this process every time a new tenancy agreement is offered to you.

Who is to occupy the property?

If you want a person to live at the property other than members of your immediate family and those named on the tenancy agreement, you must contact us to discuss this and we will require the landlord’s written consent.

The tenancy agreement is non transferable, you may NOT transfer your tenancy agreement to another person.

When you can leave

The tenancy agreement is a legally binding contract, it is for a fixed period and you cannot give notice to vacate before the expiry date of that fixed period.

If you for any reason vacate the property before the fixed term ends, whether with or without your Landlord’s consent, you may be legally liable for the rental payments up to the end of the initial fixed term.

You will also be liable for any out of pocket expenses incurred by Beech Properties or your Landlord as a result of the property needing to be re-let prematurely.

This amount will be notified to you at the time you vacate the property.

In addition you will be responsible for the Landlord’s re-letting fee as charged by Beech Properties at that time.

Giving notice

You are only required to give one month’s notice to leave the property once the tenancy has come to the end of the initial fixed term period or alternatively become Statutory Periodic, which means the end of tenancy date as stated in the tenancy agreement has passed however you have continued to pay your rent and remained living at the property.

Checking out

When you are leaving at the end of the tenancy agreement, (or if you are served a notice requiring possession of the property during a Periodic tenancy), we will contact you to confirm your intended leaving date and time.

We will arrange to meet you at the property to carry out all necessary checks.

We will verify the condition of the property and read the meters.

You must be ready to leave the property.

You will be required to return all sets of keys at this meeting, if you do not then you will continue to be liable for the rent on a daily basis until all keys are returned and all your possession, personal effects and your furniture have been removed from the property which should have been done in advance of checking out.

If your property was professionally cleaned prior to your moving in a charge for professional cleaning may be required when you vacate.

Beech Properties expect you to return the property where you have lived back to us in at least as good a condition as it was in when you moved in.

Return of deposit

If your tenancy was an Assured Shorthold Tenancy and your deposit was registered with a Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme (TDP) we will need to agree any deductions with you and then both you and the Landlord are required to sign a form confirming your mutual agreement to any such deductions. The net deposit after agreed deductions can then be paid back to you.



You are advised that the Landlord does NOT insure your contents or possessions.

You should have your own contents insurance for your personal possessions.

Your personal effects and possessions will not be covered by your Landlord’s insurance if the property is burgled or there is a flood or fire etc.

You should seriously consider getting a tenant’s contents insurance policy as it will also enable you to cover the Landlord’s goods against accidental damage by you and will also provide you with public liability cover which is essential should a substantial claim ever be made against you personally.

Beech Properties nor your Landlord accept any liability for a tenant’s failure to have their personal possessions fully insured, protection against accidental damage to the Landlord’s goods, or a lack of Public Liability cover. It is in your own best interest to have a tenant contents insurance policy in place to protect yourself. It should include accidental damage to the Landlord’s goods and also public liability insurance for you.

Unless you tell us otherwise we may arrange for an insurance company to contact you on a no obligation basis to advise and discuss this with you.

Utility, telephone, broadband, TV / media providers and local authority (council tax)

It is the tenant’s responsibility to arrange for the transfer of all utility and council tax accounts related to the property into your name. If you have not already done so you must contact the utility providers and Local Authority immediately. Very often before you move in or very soon afterwards you will receive papers from them so you can sign up for supply from the provider which you must do.

You should not delay this process as it might cause unnecessary financial pressure for you in the future.

Rent payment

Your tenancy agreement is a legally binding contract which requires you to pay the rent in full and on time on or before the rent payment due date as quoted in your tenancy agreement. Failure to do this means that you will be in breach of the terms of your tenancy agreement and are in danger of losing your home. All reasonable costs incurred by Beech Properties in enforcing the terms of your tenancy agreement will be charged to you.

If you are experiencing any difficulties in relation to rent payments you should contact us immediately.

We will make every effort to help you if at all possible.

Maintenance and repairs

Should there be any problem with the property, or any of the fixtures or fittings within the property or any of the contents or appliances provided by the Landlord please contact us immediately during office hours.

If we fully manage the property where you live we will endeavor to have someone attend to and investigate the problem on the day it is reported to us provided we hear from you before 10:30 am otherwise it will be during the next working day.

If we do not fully manage the property on behalf of the Landlord we will report the problem to the Landlord immediately.

Your Landlord will then make arrangements for the problem to be investigated and remedied.

If you’re Landlord has not contacted you or does not react in a timely fashion to your reporting a problem you must contact us again and we will take whatever action we deem necessary to remedy the problem you have reported.

We may need to send out an approved contractor who will investigate the problem on our behalf.

Please ask anyone who arrives at your property for identification if you are unsure of their identity.

Please do not hesitate to contact Beech Properties before you allow someone you are unsure of into the property where you live so that we can verify their identity.


In some circumstances where the works required are substantial, either in cost or job size it may be necessary to obtain more than one quote from our sub-contractors.

It may also be necessary to instruct a surveyor to assess the problem so that it can be effectively remedied as cost effectively and with the least possible disturbance to you.

You must not instruct a contractor yourself and then pass the invoice to us, it will not be paid by us or your landlord unless we have previously agreed to do this in writing.

If a contractor attends to remedy a problem that you have reported to us and it is found that the fault is due to lack of care or misuse by you or other occupants of the property whether visitors or otherwise whose actions you are also responsible for, you will be charged the cost of remedying the problem.

It is very much in your own best interests to be available for appointments made with contractors so repairs can be carried out as quickly as possible. If you fail to keep an appointment with a contractor you may be charged the costs of the contractor’s unsuccessful visit. No repairs can be carried out unless you are present at the property or have confirmed that you are happy for the contractors to gain access to do the work in your absence with keys provided by us or the Landlord for that purpose.

Maintaining and upkeep of the property

The tenant is responsible for normal day to day household maintenance of the property just as if it were their own property instead of rented.

Normal day to day maintenance issues arise as a result of living in a property whether you own or rent it.

Issues such as replacing light bulbs, cleaning windows, cutting lawns, maintaining hedges and borders, keeping guttering and drains clear of leaves and blockages, the removal of such pests as fleas, ants, wasps, etc. along with other minor tasks are deemed to be normal household management issues and therefore the tenants responsibility.

If there is a garden with your property you must keep it in good order throughout your tenancy. You must not uproot or damage any trees or shrubs and you must not remove any lawns that were in place at the start of your tenancy.

If you are unable at any time to look after the garden please contact us and we will make arrangements to help you.

If you have any doubts about any aspect of dealing with anything in the gardens do ask us for advice we will endeavour to help you.

If you share a common entrance to your property with other residents you are required to keep this area, and any other shared areas at the property clean, and free of rubbish and unwanted mail. It is particularly important that you keep shared entrances and exits clear of any obstructions – this may be your escape route in the event of an emergency.

Property visits

If we are fully managing the property, visits are usually carried out by our staff every three months or thereabouts, you will be notified in advance of the time and date of the proposed visit in writing.

We would like you to be present when we visit. However this is not essential, and we are sure you will understand that with a large number of properties to visit on a regular basis it is not always possible to schedule revised visit times and dates.

We will always do our best to assist if you wish to be present and look forward to receiving your comments in relation to the property and also your cooperation to help us complete our visits as quickly as possible and with the least amount of disturbance to you and your household.

Gas appliances

By law your Landlord must comply with the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and subsequent associated legislation. Your Landlord must have all gas systems, appliances and flues checked at least once every 12 months by a GAS SAFE REGISTERED engineer.

These regulations do not apply to gas appliances owned by tenants for example a gas cooker but for your safety we recommend you have your personal gas appliances checked at least every 12 months. You will be given a copy of the gas safety record issued to us by the inspecting engineer.

It is in your own best interest and the best interests of the safety and welfare of you and your family and anyone else staying at the property for you to cooperate fully with contractors making appointments with you to carry out any gas safety inspection.

Decorations and alterations

Tenants are encouraged to treat the property like your own during the period of the tenancy, it is after all your home.

Your landlord wants you to enjoy your time at the property which will hopefully continue beyond the term of your initial contract , your Landlord will work with you via Beech Properties to enable this.

You should always be mindful that the property is owned by a Landlord whose consent must always be obtained prior to any redecoration or alterations being carried out.

Permission for redecoration will not be unreasonably withheld however yo may be asked to make a contribution towards reinstating the property to the same condition as it was in when you moved in if the Lasndlord feels your choice of decor takes away from the re-letting appeal of the property at the end of your tenancy.

Failure to comply with this condition may result in you being charged any costs incurred by the Landlord for returning the property to its original condition at the end of your tenancy after allowing for fair wear and tear.

Lost keys

If during your tenancy you lose your keys to the property, no matter what the circumstances, you are responsible for the replacement costs.

Firstly contact us as we should have a spare set of keys.

The cost of having any additional sets cut is your responsibility.

If a lock change is required as a result of you losing your keys you will be charged the cost of that lock change.

If you occupy a flat in a block which has a common entrance door key you may also be charged the cost of providing all tenants in the block with new keys and possibly any common entrance door keys.

You must return all sets of keys you hold for the property at the end of your tenancy or you will be charged for any duplicate keys or lock changes required if you do not do this.

If you need clarification of any of the above please do not hesitate to contact Beech Properties, we are here to help you.


Click here to download our Tenant application form.

Click here to find some more useful information in the How to Rent checklist for renting in England

Useful Emergency Telephone Numbers and contact links

Fire Mersey Fire and Rescue Service call 999

Ambulance North West Ambulance Service You should call 999 when someone is seriously ill or injured and you think their life is at risk.        IF IT IS NOT life-threatening, but you need medical assistance fast, call NHS 111.

GAS If you smell or detect a gas leak (British Gas)0800 111 999
WATER or waste water contact United Utilities0845 746 2200
ELECTRICAL emergencies (SP Manweb)0800 001 5400

Merseyside Police click here

Liverpool City Council click here

Sefton MBC click here

Wirral Council click here

Knowsley Council click here

L17 7BN
Phone. 0151 728 2585
Fax. 0151 726 7090
Email. office@beechproperties.com